To the IA Community
As the new school year begins, your IA School Governance Council wants to (re)introduce ourselves to the IA community.
As many of you know, Fulton County has established SGCs in most schools that bring the voices of parents, students and teachers together in a dialogue with school administration. The SGC is responsible for allocating approximately $45,000 in discretionary charter funding and supporting the development of the school’s Strategic Plan.
Parent and Teacher positions on the SGC are elected, and Principal Kent names Community members and Staff representatives to the group, which also includes two non-voting student representatives.
Last year, in addition to allocating funding for design thinking faculty training, buildout of the student hubs, and security glass and cameras, the SGC engaged parents with a survey and a series of focus groups. We used this input, working closely with Principal Kent, to provide guidance on the school budget for 2023-24 and for requests for Value-added Flexibility (VAFs) that can customize the IA experience for our students.
For this school year, we will continue that engagement as we adapt to four grade levels on campus. You can find minutes of past meetings and agendas for future meetings (which are open to the public) on the IA website here.
The members of the 2023-24 IA SGC are:
- Chair: Andy Piper, Parent
- Vice Chair: Kate Maloney, Teacher
- Budget Committee Leader: Jit Saha, Parent
- Outreach Committee Leader: Dahlia Restler, Teacher
- Rob Alford, Community Member (and Parent)
- Jason Lampert, Student Non-voting Member
- Carey Lynch, School Employee
- Jabril Mujahid-Alexander, Parent
- Haaris Quraishy, School Employee
- Alina Vennel, Student Non-voting Member
- Becky Waple, Community Member (and Parent)
- Scott Kent, Principal
We are excited to get the year going. You can join us for our next meeting at 7:45am on September 21, 2023 via Teams (available on the SGC website) or in Mission Control.